Issue 98 November 2012
The fig is one of the foods mentioned in the Qur’an. The Bible also references the fig as a fruit present in the Garden of Paradise. In recent years, the nutritional benefits of the fig have been widely documented. Fatema Zehra shares a selection of recipes to celebrate this fruit.
Sweet Soufflé with Figs and Honey
1 free-range egg, yolk and white separated
40g golden caster sugar
2 tsp plain flour
Icing sugar, for dusting
9 large, ripe figs, halved
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp clear honey
1 orange, grated zest and juice
60g shelled unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat the milk in a pan over a medium heat until just simmering.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and half of the sugar until pale and well combined.
- Whisk in the flour until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Gradually pour in the warm milk, continuing to whisk until the mixture is smooth and well combined.